The ancient Roman city and its walls still bear witness to the Red Tower, the Augustan Age. Built in brick, reminiscent of the Palatine Towers incorporated in the Palazzo Madama in Turin. The city has retained much of its medieval core. The fence of the nobles, the oldest settlement area of the city, housed in the Middle Ages caseforti and the towers of the most powerful families of the city. In the narrow streets are always evident traces of fortified houses and towers. Doctors in the square tower rises such Troyan (less than 38 meters high), called "Tower Clock" (XIII sec.), Which marked the official time for public acts, or the Guttuari tower in Piazza Statuto.
The Cathedral of St. Assumption, dating from the fourteenth century, is one of the most important fourteenth-century Gothic churches of Piedmont, in brick, with three Gothic portals crowned with three rosettes at the top. Inside are seeing the frescoes and paintings (among others Gandolfino d'Asti, Carlo Innocenzo Carlone, Moncalvo), the interesting treasure, which contains precious church ornaments, and the eighteenth-century choir stalls.
Church Gothic S. Second is dedicated to the patron saint of the city and dates back to the thirteenth and fourteenth century. Keeps a beautiful altarpiece by Gandolfino d'Asti fifteenth century and the ancient crypt dating from the eighth century. Near the church stands the City Palace, former seat of the Municipality from 1558, by Benedetto Alfieri.
The church of Santa Maria Nuova is of Romanesque origin but was rebuilt in the fourteenth century and then restored later. Inside you can see a table of Gandolfino d'Asti, while on one side lies the cloister of the canons.
Interesting monument is the BaptisteryS.'s Round Peter, among the monuments Romanesque most of the city. It consists of three buildings: the baptistery, built in the twelfth century on the model of the church of S. Sepulcher of Jerusalem, the Renaissance church of San Pietro in Consavia (square, second half of the fifteenth century) and the cloister. Today the complex is a museum and houses exhibitions of modern and contemporary art, in addition to archaeological and paleontological museum, which is accessed through the cloister.
Very beautiful visit is the beautiful crypt of St Anastasio (VIII sec.), A magnificent example of Romanesque art and archaeological site and museum. The crypt is built like a basilica, divided into three naves with vaulted ceilings, columns and capitals rimpiego late-Roman. Environments adjacent to the crypt is located between the other graves in the eighth to the tenth century and the foundation wall of the facade of the medieval church of S. Anastasio (VIII sec.).
Asti has given birth to the Italian writer Vittorio Alfieri. In the Palazzo Alfieri, where the poet was born in 1749, houses the Museum of Alfieri, which houses memorabilia and memories of the writer. The Civic Art Gallery displays works from '500 to 800 and is housed in the Palace of Bellino, originally a medieval fortified house, then renovated by Benedetto Alfieri, situated on the main street, Corso Alfieri.
In the village S. Peter, a district northwest of the city, stands the Chartreuse d'Asti or chartreuse of Valmanera. It houses a restoration laboratory known as "tapestry Ugo Scassa. In addition to the weaving workshop, you can admire several tapestries on sketches of paintings by Italian artists and Foreigners including Casorati, De Chirico. Guttuso, Mastroianni, Kandinskji, Klee, Matisse and Miro.